Kenes (Kenges) Rakishev
Early life and Career
After graduating from the Kazakh Economic University, Kenes (Kenges) Rakishev held several roles in both the private and public sector. He worked as an advisor for the Kazakhstan Department of Education and for the Interior Ministry. Rakishev gained wide-ranging business management experience in a variety of sectors. He worked in the customer relations division of Bank TuranAlem OJC and in the marketing and commerce department of KazTransGas, where he eventually became Deputy General Director of Marketing and Commerce. He went on to serve as Marketing Director of Intergas Central Asia CJSC and as First Deputy General Director of KazMunayGas (Kazakhstan’s state-owned oil & gas company and the largest oil & gas company in Central Asia). Before stepping into full-time entrepreneurship, Rakishev also held the role of General Director of Mercury LLP.
Throughout his early career, Rakishev continued his studies and achieved a Law degree, a B.A. in International Economics, a Diploma in Advanced Management, Business Administration and General Management, and a certificate in Developing Strategy for Value Creation, Business Administration, Management and Operations.
Kenes (Kenges) Rakishev is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of SAT & Company, Net Element, Vyborg Shipyard and Kazakhstan Petrochemical Industries. He has made several notable investments through SAT & Company and Singulariteam. Companies he has invested in include Mobli, RAll.ee, TriPlya, Net Element, Fast Lane Ventures, and IQcard.ru. Rakishev also owns controlling stakes in the prominent Kazakh retail chain Magnum Cash & Carry and has full ownership of Sedmoy Kanal, a national TV Channel in Kazakhstan.
Philanthropy and Sponsorship
In 2002 Kenes Rakishev founded the Saby Charitable Foundation together with his wife Aselle Imangalievna Tasmagambetova. As the co-founder and active supporter of the Foundation, he is dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of underprivileged youths and disabled people residing in Kazakhstan.
The Saby Foundation’s core programs are:
- Orkendeu – a building program to improve the conditions of children living in social care
- Sport-Health Achievements – a program geared for sport and health
- Youth Program – a program aimed at supporting abandoned and orphaned children
- A Decent Life for Disabled People – a program created to increase accessibility of public spaces for people with disabilities
- Give Life to Children – an ongoing SMS campaign collecting funds for sick children
- The Medical Project – a program aimed at upgrading the medical system in Kazakhstan
- The Education Project – a program created to help orphaned teenagers achieve a high quality education
- Alem Program for the Support of Young Talents – a program that helps gifted children and young people develop their talents
In 2012 Rakishev became President of the Kazakhstan Judo Federation. During his tenure as President, for the first time in its history Astana hosted the World Judo Championship in 2015. Rakishev also allocated more than $2.5 million of his personal funds to build the modern Judo Academy in Almaty.
Rakishev is particularly involved with the Build Your Business program, an annual contest, which he launched in order to help young entrepreneurs transform their creative ideas into substantial businesses.
Through SAT & Company, Rakishev also backs the Kazakh Federation for Professional Boxing and the Kazakh Football Federation.